Working at an award-winning Day Spa it is a part of my job to stay up-to-date with all the latest skincare treatments. I am excited to share Skin Care Tips Every 30 Something Should Hear with all of you who may be approaching your 30’s or are already there.
The early 30’s can bring many unanticipated changes to our skin. During our Thirtys, our hormone levels start to decrease and the rate of collagen and elastin production lowers. Cell turn-over also becomes slower during our thirties and skin doesn’t bounce back like it once did.
How you looked after your skin in your twenties will play a huge part in the aging process. So, if you’ve only used makeup wipes instead of cleansers (with the right ingredients) or never wore sunscreen, you will start to see that catch up with you in your 30’s
A lot of my clients notice a change in their skin in their 30’s, from either newly dry or all of a sudden oily. Don’t worry – all is not lost here, there are plenty of high-power products that can combat dehydrated skin and rebalance your complexion.
There are so many skin care treatments and products on the market to help restore and repair your skin, helping you have great skin at any age. Like anything, great skin will require commitment.
Here are 10 things every 30 something should hear;
- STOP USING MAKE UP WIPES!!!!
Wipes are too abrasive for your skin from not only the rubbing but also the ingredients. Many makeup wipes contain alcohol to remove makeup quickly, which can disturb your skin’s natural barrier function, leading to sensitivity and dehydration.
- USE A LIGHT HYDRATING CLEANSER IN THE MORNING! As you sleep, your skin goes through a renewal process by eliminating toxins and debris and because you’re not removing make-up or SPF you only need a light cleanser.
3. USE A TONER! Toners are what prep your skin for deeper product penetration. Think of a sponge, a sponge cannot absorb anything until it is wet. Well, it is the same for your skin, toners work to prep your skin for your essential serum step, making it penetrate into the deeper layers and work more effectively.
4. USE A SERUM BEFORE YOUR MOISTURIZER! Moisturizers are what give your skin the hydration and protection it needs to nourish the skin’s barrier, but if you want to deliver active ingredients deep within your dermal layers to prevent fine lines and aging, adding a serum into your routine will give you amazing long-lasting results. Add in hyaluronic acid to strengthen the epidermal barriers and support collagen.
5. START USING EXFOLIATING ACIDS INSTEAD OF SCRUBS! Exfoliating acids will help with skin texture and rebalancing. They are more gentle on the skin and are more effective in helping with breakouts, blackheads, and congested pores.
6. IT’S TIME FOR A RETINOL! Retinol works to stimulate collagen production and accelerate skin turnover, smoothing fine lines and wrinkles and fading acne marks, discoloration, and blemishes in the process.
7. Apply your products in a system of the lightest fluid first. So cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer and then SPF. That way the most liquid formula will penetrate first and the other layers will sit on top to nourish and protect. Giving you the best results! Otherwise products can sit on top of each other and not get absorbed into the skin.
8. WEAR SUNSCREEN SPF 30 OR HIGHER! Spf is essential at any age and imperative if you want to delay the aging process. You should be using one daily and how much you need will obviously depend on your skin type and your UV exposure.
9. EXFOLIATE 1-3 TIMES A WEEK! Proper exfoliation removes the barrier of dead skin cells clogging the skin and uncovers fresh new cells below. This opens the way for moisturizing products to penetrate more deeply into the skin, which makes them more effective. You should be using one about 1-3 times a week, but never daily.
10. USE AN EYE CREAM! The skin around the eyes is the most sensitive part of your face, and will be one of the first areas to show signs of aging. Plus, there are minimal oil glands around your eyes to help keep the skin naturally hydrated, so finding the right eye cream can help with numerous concerns.
If you would like a customized skincare routine I would love to take care of your skin! Book an appointment online HERE or by calling our guest service team at 925-947-1814 to have a consultation with me at Changes Spa in Downtown Walnut Creek.
Let me know what you thought about my 10 Skin Care Tips Every 30 Something Should Hear in the comments below